This article is intended to outline the best methods for packing to prepare for your trip to volunteer abroad. It is tedious and ponderous to put everything in a suitcase that you need in your daily life, if you can make a better selection. But you can follow the packing tips mentioned below to not let you leave anything behind
What Do I Need To Pack?
Volunteer abroad requires you to prepare and pack a lot of things with carefulness. Volunteering abroad is not just like a tour or vacation but an adventurous journey to another part of the world for creating differences in the life of people and community. Therefore, you need to pack accordingly to volunteer abroad. However, the need of things is different for individuals. The things you will need to bring to the host country depends upon the destination, season you are travelling in, the length of your stay, type of work you are doing and many more. If you are travelling in cold season, you need to bring warm jackets and clothes, if in summer then pack for light clothes. Below are some packing tips to volunteer abroad.
- Passport and travel documentation (including travel insurance papers/card, itineraries, important contact information, etc.)
- Waterproof bag or ziplock bags – doesn't take much space, keeps things handy and keep small items protected from rain
- Travel adapter and converter
- Camera and other electronics
- Daypack for carrying your daily essentials
- Bathing suit and towel
- Hiking pants
- Rain jackets and umbrellas (if traveling in rainy season)
- Waterproof shoes
- A reusable water bottles
- First aid kit
- Extra cash
- Medical equipment (for medical projects)
- Work gloves for work such as construction, maintenance, etc.
- A country guidebook and/or foreign language dictionary
- A book, or other means of personal entertainment
- Basic toiletries
- Small gifts for your host family or for the community people, especially children you will be working for
- Clothing – Bring appropriate clothes according to the place, seasons, duration of your volunteer abroad program
Above are some of the major packing tips to volunteer abroad. However, it is not everything at all. The packing of person differs upon their interest as well as their situations. You will need to find out things you require to take with you. Some of the things such as towels, sheets, bedding, etc. are mostly provided with your accommodation. Therefore, make sure of things you will receive and can buy in the host country. And prepare a list of things you need to pack.
After reading this article, we hope you are no longer wondering about packing for volunteer abroad. But the key thing is you must not over pack rather you should pack smart.
<< Previous Chapter Next Chapter >>